To headquarters: “I received information that.. a rising was timed for Easter Eve”



Headquarters, Queenstown Garrison,

Queenstown, 22nd April 1916

Head Quarters,

Irish Command

In reply to your wire 13814. of to-day, and in continuation and amplification of my Secret 17/0/1 of even date, I have the honour to state that on Sunday the 16th inst I received information that two German submarines either alone or escorting a ship disguised as a tramp steamer left Germany on on the 12th inst with a view to landing arms and ammunition on the S W Coast of Ireland. It was further stated that the arms etc were to be conveyed to Limerick and that a rising was timed for Easter Eve (to-day).

I immediately wrote to the G.O.C in C giving him my information.

On the 17th I proceeded early with Colonel Buckley G. S. O. to Limberick, interviewed the D.I.R.I.C in the absence of the County Inspector, gave him much of my information as I thought desirable and asked him to communicate this at once secretly to the C.I. Clare and the C.I. Kerry. I also saw the O.C. 4th Leinster Regt, gave him all the necessary information and directed him to afford assistance, if called upon, by the RIC to picket all roads leading into Limerick City.

On the 18th I heard from the G.O.C in C in reply to my letter of 16th and wrote my further action to him. I wrote under Secret cover to the Officer Comg 4th R Irish Regt, 3rd Connaught Rangers, 3rd and 4th R. DUblin Fusiliers informing them briefly of the situation and warning them that the small mobile forces already arranged for on emergency might be required. My G.S.O visited Col East and informed him that he would be in command of the Force if it was required for action and that it would concentrate at Mallow. The Railway Officials were also sounded as to the provision of trains at short notice during the Easter holidays.

Nothing further occurred till the 21st on which day at 6p.m I was informed by the Vice Admiral that a suspicious ship was being chased; that she had been ordered into Fenit but had fled instead and was reported to have been seen throwing cases overboard. At the same time some arms etc were found in a collapsible boat near Fenit and that men were being chased who were believed to have been concerned with the boat.

At 10-30 pm I received a message from the D.I Tralee stating that he had made important captures and that he feared an attempted rescue and asking for military support. Knowing the situation I did not consider the request unreasonable and at 11 p-m I issued orders for 100 men of the 3rd R Dublin Fusiliers to proceed forthwith to Tralee and to report to the O C Troops there for any action he might consider necessary. I informed the O C Troops and the D.I Tralee if my action and also telephoned to you that I was taking such action as I deemed desirable with regard to the S.W of Ireland. At 2-10 a.m. on the 22nd I received a message that the troops ordered had left Cork.

At 9a.m on the 22nd I was informed that the suspicious ship was being brought into Queenstown under escort and at 10 a.m. I was informed that after hoisting German Colours she had blown herself up near Daunts rock.

Three Officers and 19 sailors of the German Navy were made prisoners, these were handed over to me but the Vice Admiral had since had them taken over by the Royal Navy.

I have been informed that two men have been remanded to Tralee Gaol on a charge of conspiracy to land arms. The O.C Det at Tralee had at 7 p.m to day nothing to report.

Brigadier General

Commanding Queenstown Garrison

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s